New Health Sciences Librarian at UH Libraries

Rachel Helbing is the new health sciences librarian.

The University of Houston Libraries welcomes Rachel Helbing into her new role as health sciences librarian.

Please describe your new role and talk about some of your professional goals and/or research areas.

I will be supporting a variety of programs, current and future, that fall under the umbrella of health sciences. My main responsibilities out of the gate are the School of Nursing and the College of Pharmacy. I am part of the team that will develop new services for the forthcoming health sciences library, which is an exciting prospect. A major professional goal is to help make the new library a successful and integral part of the University’s Health and Biomedical Sciences Center. My interests lie primarily in the areas of evidence-based practice and health informatics. I plan to conduct research on the role of interactive technologies in health information-seeking behaviors.

Please share a bit about your background and interests. How do these inspire and shape your approach as a librarian?

I have been a librarian for nearly a decade. I did not plan to become a medical librarian, but it has turned out to be a very happy accident. Health sciences librarianship is a great fit for me, as I have a background in psychology and a personal interest in all things related to medicine and healthcare. I have worked in a consumer health library, a hospital library, an independent nonprofit library serving academic and clinical users, and now an academic library. I also have a Master of Science degree in Health Informatics, which studies the intersection of healthcare and technology. This variety of roles has allowed me to develop a 360-degree view of healthcare. As a librarian, I strive to focus on the end user, promote systems thinking, and contribute to breaking down some of the barriers between academics, clinicians, and patients.

Posted on February 9th, 2017 by Esmeralda Fisher and filed under Announcements | Comments Off on New Health Sciences Librarian at UH Libraries