New Business Librarian at UH Libraries

Orolando Duffus is the new business librarian at UH Libraries.

The University of Houston Libraries welcomes Orolando Duffus, the new business librarian in Liaison Services.

Please describe your role at UH Libraries and talk about some of your professional goals and/or research areas.

As the business librarian, I will liaise to five departments: economics, finance, accounting, information and logistic technology, and decision and information sciences. That includes information literacy instruction, helping to support data needs and develop the collection. I hope to be embedded in the classes as I continue to build relationships with faculty.

My research interests focus on mentorship of underrepresented students and understanding the information and research needs of international students. Regarding service to the profession, I’m currently on the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) 2017 National Conference Invited Papers Committee.

Please share a bit about your background and interests. How do these inspire and shape your approach as a librarian?

I’m from Jamaica and came to the US on a track and field scholarship. My early beginnings influenced my interest in library science. I had a different understanding of libraries in general. In Jamaica, libraries were seen as sacred and somewhat uninviting. Many high schools didn’t have libraries. Students didn’t know what databases were. I became interested in library science as a way of reaching those students. Inspiration came from my library internship as an undergrad. It opened my eyes to what libraries were, and I found that there is so much more to librarianship. Working in a library, you see a human side, and there are lots of opportunities for outreach.

Please describe your first impressions of the University of Houston.

When I began looking, people I knew spoke highly of the institution. Great things are happening here; colleagues are widely presenting and publishing. I wanted to be a part of a warm and collegial unit where I can contribute to the literature and to the profession. What appeals to me is the scholarship that has been ongoing here, as well as the opportunity to be mentored as I mentor others.

What is your favorite book/movie/cuisine/hobby?

Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
I learned a lot from reading this book in high school. We spent time discussing being brave and standing up in the face of injustice, and also knowing when to select your battle. Those are principles that can be applicable to many different areas. The book inspired an interest in reading.
Movie: Titanic
Cuisine: Jamaican jerk chicken with rice and peas with plantains
Hobbies: Soccer on Sundays; volleyball; track; road races

Posted on August 12th, 2016 by Esmeralda Fisher and filed under Announcements | Comments Off on New Business Librarian at UH Libraries