Hispanic Collections Archivist Awarded Scholarship to RBMS Preconference

Lisa Cruces, Hispanic Collections Archivist

Lisa Cruces, Hispanic Collections archivist at the University of Houston Libraries Special Collections, has been awarded a scholarship to attend the 55th Annual Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) preconference, “Retrofit: Exploring Space, Place and the Artifact in Special Collections.”

This highly competitive scholarship has been offered to first-time RBMS preconference attendees since 2000. It is intended to promote attendance and participation by students, qualified paraprofessionals, early career librarians and librarians with limited professional development support; to introduce attendees to RBMS and ACRL; and to foster diversity in RBMS and the profession.

Cruces recently joined UH Libraries in the newly-created role of Hispanic Collections archivist to document the influence of Hispanic history and culture in Houston.

“I’m very thankful and thrilled to be the recipient of this financial award,” said Cruces. “Along with being eager to attend my first RBMS pre-conference, I’m especially drawn to this year’s metaphorical themes of space, place, and the artifact. I will strive to bring back knowledge and strategies for expanding our services to undergraduates and graduate students in archival research and engaging Hispanic members of the community in the representation of Houston history. Also as a new member of the archives profession recently arrived at a new institution, I’m excited to learn more from my peers across the country and share the great collections and projects happening at UH.”

Posted on April 28th, 2014 by Esmeralda Fisher and filed under Announcements | Comments Off on Hispanic Collections Archivist Awarded Scholarship to RBMS Preconference