UH Librarian Named Fulbright Specialist

Andrea Malone, foreign language and ethnic studies librarian at the University of Houston Libraries, has been chosen for the roster of Fulbright Specialists in library science by the Fulbright Scholar Program for a five-year term.

Malone joins a distinguished list of U.S. scholars and professionals who are awarded grants to engage in short-term, collaborative projects at universities in over 140 countries.

Her research focus will be matched with an overseas host institution, where she will work on a specified cross-national topic that aims to strengthen institutional development needs.

Malone, a liaison librarian who provides collection development, instruction, outreach and research support to UH faculty in foreign languages and ethnic studies, said that being chosen as a Fulbright specialist is an honor.

“It’s going to open opportunities that I’ve never had before,” Malone noted. She encourages library science colleagues to pursue the global opportunities that the Fulbright program offers.

While the exact nature of her project is yet unknown, Malone seeks to investigate the intercultural landscape of academic information literacy.

“I work closely with international students here,” Malone said. “I’d like to explore the different types of libraries they experience in their home countries.” Culture has a significant influence on the ways in which international students seek and use library resources, services and programs, and Malone aims to implement new strategies in meeting diverse learning and research needs.

“No matter what the grant project is, wherever I go, I plan to learn from the culture so that I can bring what I learn here and implement ways in which we can better serve our students,” Malone said, whose keen interest in improving services and programs for students, combined with a commitment to professional development, reflects a top-tier level of character and curiosity. She constantly asks herself, “Where do I need to grow? In what direction do I need to head? What comes next? There’s always more I feel like I can do.”

Posted on February 10th, 2014 by Esmeralda Fisher and filed under Announcements | Comments Off on UH Librarian Named Fulbright Specialist